Thursday, October 27, 2005

Raising Up Strong Leaders/Trees Forever

Leadership Iowa’s (www.leadershipiowa.com) presentation at Alliant Energy’s Conference in Marshalltown, IA was a good demonstration of how to develop young leaders in rural America. This eight month program is conducted around the state in three to four day blocks of time. They concentrate on studying regionalism, diversity, economic development, government, agricultural specialty crops, entrepreneurship, leadership and planning for the future.

Another Iowa program that I became reacquainted with at Alliant’s conference was Trees Forever (www.treesforever.org). I’ve been a member of their organization since 1988 when I planted 80 acres of walnut trees in Floyd, IA. My wife thought it was pretty cool retirement account plan when I showed her the financial projections of what they would be worth. She became less enamored with the investment when I told her that they took 80 years to reach maturity. By my calc, we are only 53 years away from being able to retire. Hopefully our sons will appreciate them.

Trees Forever is focused upon the planting of trees in cities and towns in Iowa. It is a wonderful program that would make sense in other states.

No comments: