Sunday, October 02, 2005

Not an Island

One of the themes that I’m seeing in my travels is that individual towns can’t be islands unto themselves. To achieve maximum success, you’ve got to get out of your traditional box and begin to partner with others. And, you can’t let even state borders become barriers. Two initiatives on tourism caught my attention in NE.

“Find the Fun on Highway 81” is a 500 mile project that ties together 16 towns that lie along US 81 from McPherson, KS up to Watertown, SD. This trans-America highway from Mexico to Canada has become a largely four lane highway that is becoming a major transportation corridor.

Similarly, “50 Miles of Smiles” is a three county collaboration of Hamilton, York and Seward Counties that stretch along I-80.

Both are great examples of regional cooperation. My only suggestion is that they each need to develop websites that would assist in their promotions.

No comments: