Sunday, October 16, 2005

Innovations from Branson

As I travel around the country, I’m seeing innovative things that are going on in small towns all over the country. I wasn’t surprised that in my brief visit to Branson I saw a couple of innovations that I haven’t seen before now. They aren’t huge innovations, just common sense approaches that enhance downtown Branson.

Branson has a low wattage FM station that only covers within a mile or so of the downtown area. But, as you drive into the downtown there are signs that tell you to tune to 90.7 FM for information on the downtown and then new Branson Landing. The programming was on a tape loop, which seemed to replay itself in about 10 minutes. However, in those 10 minutes, I got a great overview of the town.

Branson’s downtown has the old style streetlights that were common eons ago. Each light had a plaque under them recognizing someone in the town. I’m assuming that the person on the plaque donated each one. Again, this isn’t rocket science, but what a great way to upgrade a downtown while giving recognition to those who made it possible.

If you have innovations that you’ve done in your town, email me at jschultz@agracel.com and I’ll try to recognize them. If you have pictures, put them into a PDF file and include them in the email. Try not to send more than two meg in one file. I’m often on the road using a cellular system to download and larger files often get bumped and tie up my system.

No comments: